Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lollapalooza Friday Picks

I'm steadily getting ready for Lollapalooza which is right around the corner. Figured I'd give you my picks broken down by day.

1. Radiohead
As I'm sure many of you have read reviews of their recent jaunt through the US or maybe you caught one of the shows, these guys are not to be missed. This Friday show will begin their second US leg before they head to Japan. Their versa tube light show is magnificent and with the help of the Chicago skyline - we're bound to be amazed.
Checkout their new, laser only, music video for House of Cards.

2. Yeasayer
I've blogged about these guys in the past and was able to sneak in an interview while they came through Austin. These guys are great live and I'm anxious to hear their full experimental sound come through a massive PA.


3. Rogue Wave
Zach's sweet melodies will be a soothing way to open Friday. They better play Lake Michigan as I can't imagine a better situation to hear it feet away from the song's namesake.


4. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
If we can't have a Pavement reunion, I will happily take Malkmus backed by The Jicks. It also works out nicely that they will be the last to play in the south-end of Grant Park prior to Radiohead, who they opened for on the Hail to the Thief North American tour.


5. Grizzly Bear
This Warped Records band is another must see and are supporting Radiohead on the second leg of the US tour. AMAZING LIVE!


6. The Cool Kids
I've pimped them on another list, this show is a can't miss. Chicago natives + playing a small stage = Epic Show. I'd get there early...


7. The Black Keys
Always a great festival act and I'm glad they're back. Who knows, maybe DangerMouse comes out at some point, here's to wishful thinking...


UNDER THE RADAR
Free Sol
A new hip-hop group from Memphis, who just signed to JT's label Tennman Records. These guys are solid and I've heard some new cuts off the forthcoming album and they do not disappoint.
Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears
A great blues/soul band for Austin, who will be out on the road with What Made Milwaukee Famous and Okkervil River after playing Lollapalooza. These guys are a sight to see with a full horn section and all the swagger to go with their tasty blues.

No comments: